Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A writing and RP group based on ElfQuest.

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Into the Woodlands

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Westering Holt
Holt Mistress

Character sheet
Elf Name:
Position in Tribe:

Into the Woodlands Empty
PostSubject: Into the Woodlands   Into the Woodlands EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Role Play Forums » 13,398 Season of Falling Leaves: Westering Bay, West Away » In the Woodlands (1)
http://westeringholt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=13398fallingleaves&action=display&thread=391
In the Woodlands (1)
Post by admin on Jun 28, 2009, 12:31pm

The sun-seared grass plains were well behind them now, and the arduous crossing all but forgotten. The cool depths of the green forest surrounded them, and the Wolfriders felt their hearts lighten, their spirits lift, as the familiar sensations of the woodlands caressed their senses. Trees, streams, animals – the rustle of leaves in wind, the call of birds, and distant songs of wolves. This was the place that their souls longed for.

They had spent three eights of nights traveling along the river, heading first with the setting sun on their right, then straight towards sun-goes-down. An eight of days after entering the forest, they had found a likely location for a new holt, where the river branched, but extended scouting had brought evidence of humans. Stormfire had led them on.

Almost eight days after that, the river had branched again. This was not territory familiar to the newest members of their tribe, and neither Starpath, Ashglow, nor Nightsun could offer any advise on which direction to take. It was then that they changed their direction towards sun-goes-down, but also where the setting sun was to their left.

The forest was thinning now; they were moving out of the thick-growing trees that turned even the brightest day into twilight. While the forests brought comfort to their souls, the elves knew they would do best to be closer to the edge of the woodlands, where the trees were spaced further apart and hunting was more varied and plentiful.

The sun would be rising soon, and Stormfire had requested the scouts to find a secure place to den for the day.

Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by kris on Jun 28, 2009, 1:01pm

*Hurry back,* Stomfire sent to Windsoft and the scouts, chuckling at their cheerful assurances. The tribe was in a better mood than ever, thanks to their extended foray through the deepest woods the Wolfriders had seen since leaving home.

And Stormfire couldn't blame them. While she had no wish to live in the woods' heart--so deep where light couldn't pierce was no place for elves, who needed some light to survive--the edges were more like home. They spoke of home. She looked at tall trees and wondered why they leaned towards sun-comes-up; she smelled spicy bark and leaves, and wondered what Mist could make of them. And Snowtreader bounded about like a cub again, sticking her nose along the trails and in shrubs--and occasionally dragging out a squirrel or rabbit, growling in triumph.

She sighed and stretched. In spite of the fact that she could feel the season turning with every touch of the wind on her skin, Stormfire wanted to lie down and luxuriate in the breath of the trees.
Post by Anna on Jun 28, 2009, 2:40pm

Sunsong, Mist to Stormfire

*As you command, my chieftess,* Windsoft sent back, already out of sight with the others who's been dispersed to look for an appropriate place to rest for the day. The scouts had paired up and headed in slightly different directions. It shouldn't take long at all to find someplace suitable for the day's sleep.

Sunsong and Shade slipped up through the pack until the wolf walked between Snowtreader and Whitecold. She handed a plant she'd stopped to examine to Mist. "This will be useful, I think. I've never seen one before, but I sense similar properties in it to the one you use to draw poisons from cuts and wounds."

Mist took the plant and examined it closely. "We'll have to try it when we get settled," he said. His own magic wouldn't tell him a thing about the plant, but once he tried it against a wound, he would be able to monitor the progress and reaction of the body.

Sunsong smiled, then glanced at Stormfire. "Do you'll think we'll find someplace soon?" she asked wistfully.

Nightsun to whoever

Nightsun followed along behind most of the tribe. The journey since they'd joined the Wolfriders hadn't been too arduous. She and her brothers were accustomed to traveling great distances on foot. But the wolves made the travel more swift than she was accustomed to, and the Wolfriders night-living habits were difficult to adjust to. The wanderer found herself exhausted by down, and her sleep uneasy and restless under the sun's light. She felt fragile with weariness, and clumsy in the darkened woodlands. Where the Wolfriders and her brothers passed quiet as fog among the branches, roots, and fallen leaves, Nightsun heard the rustle and crack of twigs and leaves beneath her feet all too clearly. Every gnarled root her feet were sure to find, and she stumbled several times a night.

She knew that most of the Wolfriders were unhappy with the noise she made. She tried to be more careful, to move as they did. And, in truth, she knew that she was improving.

However, she felt no shame in her shortcomings. She had never had a need to move in silence, nor had she ever had to travel through the forest at night, when the dark of the sky was compounded by the shadows cast by wide-spreading branches. She tried to learn now what she had never had reason to learn before, and that was all that she, or anyone else, could reasonably expect.

The spirits that had guided her to the river had, once their wishes been met, departed. They, and others, came back often enough, but most of Nightsun's time now was no distracted by their insistent voices drawing her on one set course.

Post by multifacets on Jun 28, 2009, 6:01pm

Silent to Nightsun:

She seemed so tired.

Silent had been staying close to Nightsun lately, just to watch her, to figure out why he thought she was similar to him. It wasn't easy; ever since he had found the river, it had become harder to sense things, and the Song was quiet- or rather, he couldn't hear it as well. Trying tended to give him headaches, but at least there were no nosebleeds.

Part of him hoped it was temporary, as he missed it. The other part hoped it wasn't.

So now, he had to rely on his eyes, and guesswork. And to his eyes, Nightsun could use some assistance.

**Would you give Nightsun a ride if I asked?** the silver-eyed elf inquired of his wolf-friend.

Wanderlust gave him a mental shrug. **Dark-hair lighter than friend, but not elf-friend,** she responded. **Ask nice.**

Silent dug his fingers between Wanderlust's shoulder-blades and scratched vigorously, making his wolf-friend writhe in pleasure. **Please?** he requested of the she-wolf after several blissful minutes.

The pale wolf sent agreement, and Silent nudged her closer to Nightsun until the three were all side by side. **Your steps are heavy,** he sent to the tanned maiden. **Are you tired?**Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jun 28, 2009, 6:32pm

Nightsun to Silent

Nightsun looked at the strangely silent youth. She had noted that he seemed to often be near her, but she had never heard him speak. His kin treated him with fondness, but seldom seemed to expect him to contribute much to their hunts or preparations for each morning's rest. She was curious about him, as she was curious about them all.

"I am not accustomed to travelling by night and sleeping by day," she admitted with a smile. "My sleep has been unrestful as my body insists that it should be waking and active when the sun shines done upon us." Nightsun longed to reach out a hand and stroke the wolf's shoulder, but she knew better. Tame though they seemed to be when ridden by their elves, Nightsun had observed them at other times, and knew that they were no more tame than the eagles that flew the sky. "Your friends are very swift," she said.

Then she looked at him, golden eyes focusing with steady clarity on him. "You are the one they call Silent?"

Post by multifacets on Jun 28, 2009, 7:27pm

Silent to Nightsun:

**Yes, I am.** Silent acknowledged. **And you're Nightsun. I'm glad to meet you.** He did not quite understand the problem Nightsun admitted to; there were stories of times when Wolfriders had traveled by day, rather than night, and then later turned to the night to protect them. Had they had that difficulty?

**We're used to traveling light and hard,** Silent said, shrugging. **I asked Wanderlust if she would agree to let you ride her, and she has. If you need to rest, her back is strong enough to carry you far and easily.**

Hopefully she wouldn't be offended by the offer. Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jun 28, 2009, 8:02pm

Nightsun to Silent

Nightsun reached out, took Silent's hand, and squeezed it lightly before letting it go. "You are very kind, Silent, and I thank you for the offer. I am well accustomed to walking, however, and could not deprive you of your friend." She looked down at the wolf, carefully avoiding looking the animal in the eyes. She had noticed that eye contact was uncommon among them and assumed there was a reason for it. "I thank you as well, graceful one. You are generous and kind."

Post by kris on Jun 28, 2009, 10:10pm

Stormfire to Sunsong

"I hope so," Stormfire answered, reaching to take Sunsong's hand. She watched Mist examine the plant and smiled. "There's so much here that reminds me of home. Even the trees, although some of them look . . . warped, somehow."

“Ah!” Sunsong laughed. “It’s the winds, Stormfire. The trees remember the winds when they were young and growing. But the winds must come a lot, for them to have grown this way. They never had a chance to unbend and grow straight. And then, they became too big to unbend.” She pointed to one example, an oddly gnarled tree that bent almost like a bow-stave, its needled branches looking like tufts of green feathers caught in a stiff breeze. Stormfire found herself chuckling at the sight. Sunsong giggled. “They see themselves as standing straight and tall, however!”

"We'll have to make sure our home-tree is strong enough to hold against these winds." She drew in a deep breath and sighed. "I could live on the scents alone! Smell that air, Sunsong--trees, flowers, and . . ."

Stormfire paused.

"And what?" Sunsong asked.

"Close your mouth, chieftess," Mist advised. "There are plenty of bugs flying in the air, too. You'll catch one."

Stormfire threw him an annoyed half-smile. **Then we can share it for dinner, old one,** she returned.

**Thank you, no. I prefer good red meat. You can have the bug.**

Snorting, Stormfire expanded her next sending to include Sunsong as well. **Take a good, deep breath, and tell me if you don't smell something strange. What is that odor?**Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jun 28, 2009, 10:36pm

Sunsong, Mist to Stormfire

Sunsong glanced at Mist, then shrugged. She tilted her head back, closed her eyes, and drew in a deep breath, slowly. She lets the scents linger over her tongue. "It's familiar," she said slowly. "I-I just can't quite place it."

Mist had also taken a deep breath. A line furrowed his brow as he analyzed what he was smelling and tasting. "It's like salt, but not quite," he finally said. "It's has the bite of salt, but the scent isn't quite right." His nostrils flared again. "It's faint."

"I wonder what it could be," Sunsong murmurred, tilting her head to one side.

Post by multifacets on Jun 28, 2009, 11:13pm

Silent to Nightsun:

Silent gave Nightsun a bewildered look. Deprive him of Wanderlust? Where had she gotten that idea? **[faint yellow puzzlement]/That's not possible,** he sent. **Our minds touch wherever we are.**

Wanderlust nudged Nightsun's thigh in a friendly way, and gave her the submissive "grin", laying her ears back.

**May I ask you something?** Silent asked privately a moment later. **About what you said to Wingfoot to make him faint. Why you seem....** He tried to think of the right concept. **[touching something else]/[distant-different-private] (special?)** he sent at last.Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jun 29, 2009, 12:23pm

Nightsun to Silent

Jun 28, 2009, 11:13pm, multifacets wrote:

**[faint yellow puzzlement]/That's not possible. Our minds touch wherever we are.**

Wanderlust nudged Nightsun's thigh in a friendly way, and gave her the submissive ‘grin’, laying her ears back.

Nightsun was startled at his response, but she responded to the wolf’s friendly overture by placing her hand on the broad skull of her head, her fingers automatically digging into the plush fur to scratch. “I meant,” she clarified with an uncertain smile, “that two may be too heavy, and I would not displace you from her, when I am accustomed to walking, and you to riding.” Her smile became more sure. “I would not even know how to begin.”

Jun 28, 2009, 11:13pm, multifacets wrote:
**May I ask you something? About what you said to Wingfoot to make him faint. Why you seem....[touching something else]/[distant-different-private] (special?)**

First, Nightsun was concerned that Silent wished to know what she’d told Wingfoot, and that gift was not hers to give. She was reassured, however, as the youth’s send clarified that wasn’t what he sought. She tasted the over and undertones of his send, looking for more than he’d actually said. Not that he actually said much. Silent’s sendings were different than those she remembered from her kin, or from what she’d shared with her brothers and a few of the Wolfriders. It was almost like when she’d tried to share a memory with Wingfoot. It was as sharing of emotion and intent, not a verbalization of words. In some ways, the send provided more information, and in others, it was very confusing since she wasn’t certain what it was that he was asking.

“We are all special, in different ways,” she said slowly. “Each has a talent, a gift from the High Ones. Some are physical gifts – sharp sight, keen hearing,” she picked up the edge of her leather poncho and smiled in amusement. “Tanning. Others, they have the magic of the High Ones. Your Sunsong can make plants dance out of season, weaving them to her will. Your Mist can mend the injuries of body and mind far more swiftly than time alone could do.” She dropped her poncho and turned her clear-eyed gaze back to Silent. “I have heard that you, too, have a gift, although none seem certain what it may be. Your kin wait for this gift to flower, and see how it will serve the tribe.” She touched his hand again. “They are very proud of what you did on the prairie. No one else could have done as you! But you asked of me.”

She fell silent and they walked for several moments while she considered. She’d heard whispers for many seasons now. Voices known and unknown that would rush by, murmuring words she heard, and sometimes she didn’t. Sometimes they were happy. Sometimes they were sad. She was only know beginning to understand that not everyone heard the spirits of the elves had passed from this life. She had assumed everyone could. Of course, she’d never discussed it with her brothers, either. They hadn’t liked to speak of their lost kin, and she had honored that.

“Some of our lost kin wander the world at will. Perhaps all; I do not know. Sometimes they speak to me, or I hear them on the wind. Life does not end when this body stops; it merely becomes pure spirit.”
Post by Anna on Jun 29, 2009, 12:38pm

Windsoft, Longdusk (temp)

Windsoft and Longdusk had paired up to scout for a resting place during the day. Windsoft usually preferred to pair with one of the younger scouts, usually Softling, so the cubs could learn by experience and observation. Sometimes, however, the children had to go on their own and learn by making mistakes. The area seemed safe enough and there had been no sign of humans for several nights. Now as as good as ever to lengthen the lacings.

And it was a sheer relief to have another experienced scout as a partner, one she could depend on to do his part. That's what prompted Windsoft to give Longdusk a bright smile as they rode out of hearing range of their tribe.

*Why are you smiling?* the other scout asked suspiciously.

*Worried, old wolf?* she teased.

Longdusk snorted. He certainly wasn't an 'old wolf' and he had no cause to worry.

Windsoft's reply was surrounded by a laugh. *Grump, then,* she corrected. *The smile is simple enjoyment, Longdusk. The cubs can be wearying at times, and it is nice to have a full partner. Let me enjoy it while it lasts, and what do you think of that thicket?*

Longdusk shook his head. He'd noticed the thicket an immediately discarded it. *If you enjoy brambles in your hair, you're welcome to it. I, however, will keep looking.*

Windsoft wrinkled her nose at him, but rode on. Her eyes watched their surroundings closely, although she concentrated on the left and left him to scout to the right.

Post by Anna on Jun 29, 2009, 12:50pm

Icemark, Lightgaze (temp)

Icemark rode with his arms around Silvercub. The child was bored and restless, but managed to confine that restlessness to small fidgets. Icemark was proud of his cub; she had handled the long journey well, with few tantrums. As they road, he let his love and pride for her fold around her, and even the fidgeting stilled as she relaxed against his chest.

"I wonder," Lightgaze murmurred, eyeing the passing foliage speculatively. She plucked an unfamiliar berry and sniffed it. She didn't say what she wondered and the silence stretched on. It didn't bother Icemark. He was accustomed to Lightgaze's long thoughts.

Grapple walked close beside Faith. Occasionally Icemark's leg would brush against Lightgaze's own. Icemark didn't try to get his wolf-friend to move; he knew Lightgaze was uncomfortable being alone, and even lost in thought though she was, the light touch would reassure her that someone was with her.

Post by Anna on Jun 29, 2009, 12:58pm

Oakstaff, Firecat (temp)

Oakstaff glanced up as Firecat's wolf carried her to his side. He grinned at her and held up a low-hanging vine for her to ride beneath. "Hello, fisher," he greeted her.

Firecat smiled at him winningly, tilting her head to one side and lowering her lashes. "Hello, hunter," she returned lightly. "You're not with the scouts?"

Oakstaff shook his head. "No, they have plenty riding out and looking for a den. I thought I'd stay and lure some pretty maid within reach."

"Oh?" Firecat asked, arching a brow.

"Yes," Oakstaff nodded. "And it worked." He reached out and grabbed her hand, tugging her closer. Frostbite obliged and Oakstaff swung their joined hands between them. "Denning with anyone?" he asked, leaning towards her.

Firecat laughed and put a finger on his chest, pushing him back. "Maybe."

"Maybe I am, too."

Post by multifacets on Jun 29, 2009, 10:50pm

Silent to Nightsun:

Jun 29, 2009, 12:23pm, Anna wrote:
Nightsun was startled at his response, but she responded to the wolf’s friendly overture by placing her hand on the broad skull of her head, her fingers automatically digging into the plush fur to scratch. “I meant,” she clarified with an uncertain smile, “that two may be too heavy, and I would not displace you from her, when I am accustomed to walking, and you to riding.” Her smile became more sure. “I would not even know how to begin.”

Wanderlust huffed, as if disagreeing about her weight capacity, but Silent just lifted his eyebrows and dismounted, landing easily. **I can walk,** he "said" sensibly. **And I can teach you to ride, if you'd like. It's not complicated, and Wanderlust is willing.** He smiled a bit. **Especially if you keep scratching her like that.**

**Good, good, yes, good, happy,** the wolf agreed, tail wagging.

“I have heard that you, too, have a gift, although none seem certain what it may be. Your kin wait for this gift to flower, and see how it will serve the tribe.” She touched his hand again. “They are very proud of what you did on the prairie. No one else could have done as you! But you asked of me.”

Silent blushed brightly, looking at the ground, but did not remove his hand. **Th-That was just beginner's luck/[against the odds]-[still can't believe it worked],** he admitted. **I didn't even do it well/[did it recklessly]-[wanted to prove something]. I-I don't even know if it's a gift. I just.... I just listen.**

“Some of our lost kin wander the world at will. Perhaps all; I do not know. Sometimes they speak to me, or I hear them on the wind. Life does not end when this body stops; it merely becomes pure spirit.”

Silent looked at the maiden again, wide-eyed and surprised. He could believe that; Wolfrider spirits went wherever they wanted once their ties to the physical world faded away. But to hear their words, to feel them more keenly....

"Sp-Spirit-speak-ker," Silent whispered in awe.Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jun 30, 2009, 11:16pm

Nightsun to Silent:

Jun 29, 2009, 10:50pm, multifacets wrote:
Silent just lifted his eyebrows and dismounted, landing easily. **I can walk. And I can teach you to ride, if you'd like. It's not complicated, and Wanderlust is willing.** He smiled a bit. **Especially if you keep scratching her like that.**

Silent blushed brightly, looking at the ground, but did not remove his hand. **Th-That was just beginner's luck/[against the odds]-[still can't believe it worked],** he admitted. **I didn't even do it well/[did it recklessly]-[wanted to prove something]. I-I don't even know if it's a gift. I just.... I just listen.**

Nightsun smiled and then gingerly pulled herself onto Wanderlust’s back. It felt distinctly odd, and she carefully scrutinized how the Wolfriders around her were sitting on their wolves, adjusting her position to mimic them. She wasn’t sure she had it right, but once she relaxed her back and moved with the wolf, it became easier.

“Thank you both, but you must tell me when your feet tire, Silent.” She lowered her eyes and thought about his words, then looked at him again and smiled gently. “You gave your kin the direction they needed. You changed the course and brought them more quickly to the river. How was this not well done? Did you not use your gift to sense the water? Did you not seek it out? This does not seem to be beginner’s luck to me.”

Jun 29, 2009, 10:50pm, multifacets wrote:
Silent looked at the maiden again, wide-eyed and surprised. “Sp-Spirit-speak-ker,” Silent whispered in awe.

Nightsun blushed and laughed softly. “I listen,” she corrected. “Like you. I listen to what there is for me to hear.”
Post by multifacets on Jul 1, 2009, 8:17pm

Silent to Nightsun:

Jun 30, 2009, 11:16pm, Anna wrote:
She lowered her eyes and thought about his words, then looked at him again and smiled gently. “You gave your kin the direction they needed. You changed the course and brought them more quickly to the river. How was this not well done? Did you not use your gift to sense the water? Did you not seek it out? This does not seem to be beginner’s luck to me.”

Silent faltered, biting his lip, and swallowed hard as he tried to balance Nightsun's words with his doubt. **Maybe/[heavy-tangled-black uncertainty]** he sent, but it was barely a "whisper".

Jun 30, 2009, 11:16pm, Anna wrote:
Nightsun blushed and laughed softly. “I listen,” she corrected. “Like you. I listen to what there is for me to hear.”

**Spirit-speaker,** he repeated, with more firmness than had been directed at himself. **Or spirit-listener, if you like/[mild teasing].** He hesitated again, then gingerly ventured, **When did you learn you could do that?**Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by kris on Jul 2, 2009, 11:04pm

Wingfoot considered asking Stormfire exactly where they were going, and then reconsidered.

He didn't really care where they were going, so long as the scent of humans didn't assault his nose, and there was plenty of sweet water and game.

But one thing bothered him recently, and it intruded on the fragile peace he'd been building between himself and Nightsun. He watched the trio of Stormfire, Sunsong, and Mist as they rode ahead of the tribe, scowling as Stormfire turned to meet Mist's eyes more than once in four-and-two heartbeats.

There . . . she did it again.

Wingfoot exhaled through his nose and considered what was happening.

There was no telling what was going through the healer's mind. Wingfoot was convinced he had snow-melt for blood, but found himself grateful for that fact. Stormfire was still young, and not much more than a cub; her feelings declared themselves all over her delicate face with every look she threw Mist's way. That was what Wingfoot feared.

It was one thing for a youngster to choose a much-older mate. It was something else for a very young chief to show such favor to an elder. Mist had had had eights and eights of years in which he'd held Sureshot's ear. Now, Wingfoot thought archly, he held more than just Stormfire's ear, and quite likely he was using one to hold the other.

That did it. Wingfoot came up beside Stormfire, who gave him a sidelong look through her breeze-blown hair. "Chieftess," he greeted her. "So, any idea where we're going?"

"Not particularly," Stormfire drawled, her eyes pinning him through wild black curls. A blade-thin smile accompanied her look. "Perhaps I should dart ahead and find out, for your satisfaction?"
Post by Anna on Jul 2, 2009, 11:57pm

Nightsun to Silent

Nightsun smiled gently and did not comment on Silent's self doubt. The youngling wasn't listening to her, and some things could only be learned by one's self, in one's own time. Where had this uncertainty of self and worth come from? Nightsun remembered her own youth, the encouragement to learn, explore, experiment with whatever caught her attention. The reassurance, support, and encouragement her elders provided. The Wolfriders seemed to treat each other and the young among them much the same.

This was not something she understood, or could fix, so she like that particular topic slide away as Silent called her spirit-listener and asked about that. She looked up at the night-shrouded branches overhead and thought back, stretching her memory as far as she could.

"I paid no heed to the season, and one year is much like another to me." She shrugged helplessly. "There was no alarm or concern in me when I realized what I heard, and so there is no marker by which to judge the passage of time."

Mist, Sunsong to Stormfire, Wingfoot

Mist arched an eyebrow when Wingfoot joined them, but said nothing as the elder questioned Stormfire. He did have to look away, his lips thinned in an effort to keep from smiling or, even worse, laughing.

Sunsong, High Ones bless her, asked in all innocence what Mist was thinking but could not say himself. "How can she know where we're going, Wingfoot?" Sunsong asked in simpe curiosity. "We're following the river, and no one but the scouts what's up ahead." The plantshaper leaned forward over her mount's shoulders to better see the weaponmaker. "Have Nightsun and her brothers ever come this way?"Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by kris on Jul 3, 2009, 12:11am

Wingfoot to Sunsong, Stormfire

Quote:
Sunsong, High Ones bless her, asked in all innocence what Mist was thinking but could not say himself. "How can she know where we're going, Wingfoot?" Sunsong asked in simpe curiosity. "We're following the river, and no one but the scouts what's up ahead." The plantshaper leaned forward over her mount's shoulders to better see the weaponmaker. "Have Nightsun and her brothers ever come this way?"

Wingfoot raised his eyebrows. "I haven't asked," he returned.

"You've got the maiden's ear, Wingfoot," Stormfire stated coolly, her smile never wavering. "Try using it as more than a place to pour howl-tales. She's wandered far and wide; this place could be like home to her."

"I'll give it a try," Wingfoot responded, still unsure how to react to Stormfire. He had the feeling he still stood on the blade's edge of her displeasure, a place he hadn't thought to be wary of before--and one that made him quite uncomfortable now.

"Do that. I like to get useful advice from my elders." Still wearing that sharp smile, Stormfire urged Snowtreader ahead of Wingfoot. "Sunsong, look! Oaks!"

Wingfoot gritted his teeth. The next time I get on her wrong side, he told himself, hanging back to join Nightsun and Silent, I'm going to hit myself over the head with a heavy rock until I black out from the pain.Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jul 3, 2009, 12:23am

Nightsun to Wingfoot, Silent

Nightsun felt his presence nearing before she actually saw him. Her face filled with a quiet glow as she turned her wide eyes unerringly towards him as they gradually caught up with him. Slipped from Wanderlust's back and took a place next to Tip-Ears, her hand settling unconsciously on his thigh.

"Wingfoot," she greeted him gently. "Young Silent and I have been speaking, of his sensing, and mine." Her golden gaze swept over the elder's face, and a faint line formed between her brows. Something had tightened Wingfoot's expression. "You are unhappy, dear one. Can we do anything to make you smile?"

Post by multifacets on Jul 3, 2009, 3:50pm

Silent, Nightsun, Wingfoot.

Silent flinched a bit; he hadn't noticed Wingfoot was coming. (Not that that was unusual for him.) He started to edge sideways, but was caught when Nightsun asked if there was anything they could do. Damn.

Wanderlust panted a greeting to Tiptail once she had gotten over the disappointment of no more scratches.Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by Anna on Jul 4, 2009, 3:21pm

Windsoft, Longdusk (temp) to Stormfire

Longdusk drifted through the underbrush some distance from Windsoft. He scouted the area closer to the river. She took the darker, more densely grown forest away from the river's edge. Neither were more than flickering shadows easily dismissed as the result of the wind moving the leaves of the trees overhead.

**Here.**

Longdusk's send carried with it what he was seeing - a half-dozen trees growing almost in a circle, their branches interlaced overhead, and clear, moss and fern covered ground within their circle.

Windsoft and Bristlecone crossed a game trail and slipped through the bushes to reach Longdusk and Flear. Windsoft gave the protected little clearing a visual examination and nodded her head.

*Chieftess,* she sent to Stormfire. *We've found a place.*

Post by kris on Jul 4, 2009, 11:54pm

Wingfoot to Nightsun

Jul 3, 2009, 12:23am, Anna wrote:
"Wingfoot," she greeted him gently. "Young Silent and I have been speaking, of his sensing, and mine." Her golden gaze swept over the elder's face, and a faint line formed between her brows. Something had tightened Wingfoot's expression. "You are unhappy, dear one. Can we do anything to make you smile?"

Wingfoot felt the tension leave him as Nightsun drew close and touched him. He couldn't understand why so many of his tribemates kept away from her; he found her presence to be a soothing, comforting one. "You already have," he assured her. "But, I do have a question to ask you. I spoke to Stormfire about this strange scent on the air . . . " He paused. "Can you smell it? Bitter, like salt--have you ever come across it before?"Re: In the Woodlands (1)
Post by kris on Jul 5, 2009, 12:07am

Stormfire to Windsoft, Longdusk (temp)

Jul 4, 2009, 3:21pm, Anna wrote:
Longdusk's send carried with it what he was seeing - a half-dozen trees growing almost in a circle, their branches interlaced overhead, and clear, moss and fern covered ground within their circle.

Windsoft and Bristlecone crossed a game trail and slipped through the bushes to reach Longdusk and Flear. Windsoft gave the protected little clearing a visual examination and nodded her head.

*Chieftess,* she sent to Stormfire. *We've found a place.*

Stormfire jerked to attention immediately. *Where?* she sent, ignoring Snowtreader's growl at her sudden, tight grip on her ruff.

Windsoft and Longdusk's sending images enveloped her mind: a circle of trees, their branches lacing together to create a hoop-like canopy, the ground below covered with moss and ferns. Stormfire smiled. *You always find the best-looking places to camp! I'll expect you two to find us something that looks just as good for our holt.*
Post by Anna on Jul 5, 2009, 12:14am

Nightsun to Wingfoot, Silent, Starpath

Nightsun frowned, then lifted her head and took a deep, steady breath. She released it slowly and shook her head. "Your sense of smell is far more keen than mine, dear one," she apologized with a sigh. "I cannot smell what you describe. Are there more aromas mingled with the salt?" She hesitated, then looked around. Where was Starpath? "Starpath most often led our course. He and Ashglow are hunters, and their senses are keen. Perhaps they can smell this scent on the air, and tell you the meaning. Starpath, at the very least, could say whether we three have walked this way before."

She hesitated to ask him to share the memory or the sense of what he was scenting with her. The repercussions of what had happened before, when first they met, still stung her and she'd avoided sending to him as much as she could, not willing to risk the pain of that rejection and withdrawal again. His presence comforted her, made her feel...whole. She feared that she would, somehow, cause him to avoid her, as many of his kin already did.

She looked at Silent. "Do you, as well, kitling, smell this salt on the air?"

Post by multifacets on Jul 5, 2009, 3:45pm

Silent to Nightsun and Wingfoot.

Kitling? How old was Nightsun compared to him. Silent snorted quietly, then took a long, deep breath through his nose, mouth open slightly to get a taste as well. The muted Song had also changed slightly, but it was the scent that he truly noticed. **Yes.**
Back to top Go down

Into the Woodlands
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Role Play :: Official Wolfrider Role Play :: 13,398 Season of Falling Leaves: The End of the World-
Jump to: