Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A writing and RP group based on ElfQuest.

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Day's Rest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Westering Holt
Holt Mistress

Character sheet
Elf Name:
Position in Tribe:

The Day's Rest Empty
PostSubject: The Day's Rest   The Day's Rest EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Role Play Forums » 13,398 Season of Falling Leaves: Westering Bay, West Away » The Day's Rest (2)
http://westeringholt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=13398fallingleaves&action=display&thread=422
The Day's Rest (2)
Post by admin on Jul 5, 2009, 9:13am

The little grove that Longdusk and Windsoft had found was perfect for the tribe’s needs. Stormfire advised the other scouts and hunters that they could stop searching for a resting place, and start bringing in food for the tribe to eat. It wasn’t long before the entire tribe had returned and begun to settle in for the day.

Before resting, they gathered together to share the fruits of the hunt. Afterwards, some sought the river to bathe and clean while their plantshaper worked to provide a place for them to sleep. Some were tired, some were not; the night’s travel had not been particularly strenuous on the Wolfriders. But with the travel for the night done, they could relax and appease their social urges.

Moonslight was fading and the soft greyness of dawn was beginning to touch the sky.

Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 5, 2009, 9:29am

Open to anyone to respond...

Sunsong looked at the denning site that Longdusk and Windsoft had found and nodded in satisfaction. This would do quite well! Now, how to make quick, temporary dens for her tribe? Shaping the trees into traditional dens wouldn’t do; it would take far, far too long for her to accomplish that. She’d still be working on it a moon from now!

She gazed upward in thought, and there found the solution. She smiled and settled to the ground, placing her hands gently on the true of the nearest tree. Singing softly, she closed her eyes and let her magic saturate the stiff, flexible texture of the wood. She joined her spirit to the green, growing things around her and showed it what she wanted, then guided the shaping. The rigid wood became soft and malleable to her spirit hands, and she shaped it like clay.

Branches widened, becoming flat platforms. Magic spilled from tree to tree until the entire, encircling grove shown with the faint, soft, glimmering light of plantshaper magic. Interwoven branches locked together, their smaller branches also flattening and widening. Higher, more slender branches shifted slightly, providing a shelter roof that kept sun and weather off those below.

Lastly, protuberances grew from the trunks of the trees. Flat topped steps encircling the trunks until the lower branches were reached. As the last step swelled gently out, Sunsong gasped and broke off her song, slumping to lie on the ground.

Mist ran to her side and turned her over. Fading moonslight glimmered on her pale skin. Dark shadows bruised her skin beneath her eyes, but her breathing was steady and her heart beat strong and sure. “Exhausted, again,” Mist assured Stormfire, lifting the plantshaper in his arms. He shook his head. “She always goes overboard. We could have treed on the branches without any shaping.”

Oakstaff laughed. “Like she’d let that happen, healer! It’s her goal to turn every stop into a holt.”

Mist shook his head and carried Sunsong to one of the shaped platforms. The plantshaper had thought of everything, he noticed. The platforms weren’t as flat as they looked, but gently cupped. Icemark followed him up, carrying a sleeping fur. The gatherer spread it on the platform and Mist gently laid Sunsong down.

“There’s enough room here for at least five more,” Icemark noted, looking over the platform. He smiled at Mist. “She does try to do the very minimum, at least. Seven of these will hold as all, easily.”

“I know,” Mist said, then shook his head. “But she still pushes herself farther than she should.”

Icemark placed a hand on Mist’s shoulder and squeezed. “You’re talking like a healer, not like a Wolfrider,” the other male murmured. “Would you do any different if your places were reversed?”

Mist chuckled. “No, and I’d scold anyone who tried to stop me. Let’s leave her to sleep. She’ll be well enough for now.”

The two climbed down from the tree and joined the rest of the Wolfriders, who were going about their tasks: cleaning up from the meal, mending weapons or clothing, bathing, or any number of other tasks.

((OOC: Anyone is welcome to curl up and share Sunsong's sleeping platform, but she's not gonna be moving from there til morning! Smile ))

Post by kris on Jul 5, 2009, 10:43am

Stormfire watched, alternately worried and bemused as Mist worked on Sunsong. She always does this, the chieftess thought. Too much is never enough for her. She wants so much to make us as comfortable as she can, trying to rise to her own expectations . . .

The memory of her last encounter with Fernflower made Stormfire grimace. Fernflower had been so ungiving, so unloving with Sunsong, that she wondered how her friend hadn't been poisoned by it. Stormfire smoothed some of the hair away from Sunsong's brow and smiled. **Sleep well, my dear friend,** she sent, softly enough not to wake her.

She strode out of the camp and joined the others in preparing for rest. Just as she lifted a sleeping fur over her shoulder, Journey hurried over to grab several. "That's quite a load you're taking there, Journey," Stormfire said, feeling much more kindly towards her young friend than she had in days. He'd shown, by word and deed, that he was truly sorry for his actions, and for that he'd gained the tribe's forgiveness. Still, Stormfire couldn't help but wonder what was behind his sudden industriousness.

"Thought I'd help Nightsun set up a sleeping place," Journey said nonchalantly, and walked away.

"Wait . . . Nightsun?" Stormfire turned and hurried after Journey, hauling him up short with a hand clapped on his shoulder. *All right, Journey,* she sent, when he gave her a wide-eyed look that just missed perfect innocence by a wolf-length. *What are you doing with Nightsun?*

*Nothing,* Journey assured her, grinning. *Everyone knows Wingfoot's cloud-headed crazy for her. I don't poach.*

Stormfire snorted, but couldn't keep from grinning. *You don't poach, but you don't mind twisting a bear's tail once in a while, either,* she returned. *Whatever happens, Journey, it's on your head. So--why the interest in Nightsun?*

*Why not? She's beautiful, sweet, kind--and she knows more things than I've ever seen. I like to hear her tales, that's all.* Journey hoisted the load of furs to a more comfortable spot on his shoulder. *And who knows--she might have run across trolls this way before. Wouldn't it be something if--*

*Journey.*

A crestfallen face. *Aw, c'mon, Storm--*

*NO. You aren't going off by yourself to trade with trolls.*

Journey perked up, grinning. *But we will trade with them if we find them?*

Stormfire shook her head and gave him a mock glare. *Get out of here, you treasure-muzzled treewee! Out!*

As Journey went on his way, Whirlwind sidled up to Stormfire. "I knew you couldn't keep that one's spirits down long," she chuckled.

"Keeping Journey down would require a mountain. Maybe two."

"Have you seen him with Nightsun? They make a charming couple."

"I've seen. Wingfoot might decide he wants a Journey pelt to polish his weapons with."

"Or a Journey pelt for the bedfurs . . . "

"I don't think Wingfoot would feel that friendly if Journey managed to woo Nightsun away."

Whirlwind shrugged. "Well, at least that gives Tallspear a clear line to Softling . . ." She stopped as Stormfire glared at her in truth. "What?"

"Will you stop trying to pair everyone up?" Stormfire exclaimed. "When we've got a new holt, we can worry about all that then--and then it's nothing to worry about! Quit matchmaking!"

"Well, you've deprived me of having any fun, little sister--cozying up to that dry, frostbitten stick of a healer--"

"Just stop it, Whirlwind," Stormfire warned, and Whirlwind's eyes widened in astonishment at her tone. "You don't know what you're talking about, or you wouldn't say such things about Mist. Don't you have something you could do?"

Whirlwind's eyebrows rose to her hairline, but she reached down and picked up several supplies. "Any place you want these in particular?" she asked, her voice calm but lacking all laughter.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by viola on Jul 5, 2009, 12:28pm

Lightgaze -> ?

Lightgaze had silently waited till Sunsong was done, and the place seemed comfy enough. She frowned as Sunsong collapsed, but Mist was there, so she figured he would take good care of her. The elder was tired, and secretly, she wished that they would stay here for a bit longer. It would at any case make her slightly more adjusted to the darkskinned newcomer. Lightgaze still didn't know what to think about Nightsun and her spirit-talking. She had more or less decided to avoid the newcomers, at least for now.

~*~

Firecat -> Shellslip

Firecat shook her head, poking Shellslip. "She does too much," she said, watching Sunsong collapse. A twinkle came in her eyes. "she shapes stairs, but instead she could've shaped roofs. Maybe it rains, and then we're all wet. Talking about wet... care to join me in the river? I want to sleep all cleaned up, if I can."

~*~

Longdusk -> ?

Feeling satisfied about finding the spot, Longdusk had inspected the construction Sunsong was shaping, but far before she finished up, he left to circle the surroundings. He wanted to make sure that they would be safe, even though he and Windsoft had scouted accordingly. He felt restless.

The revelation that Nightsun spoke to spirits, and to his deceased recognized in particular, had raised the urge to talk to her. Truthfully, though they shared the bond of recognition, he and Skylight hadn't been deeply in love, but they had respected each other, and their daughter Fleetfoot had meant the world to them both. And Longdusk had wondered, if Fleetfoot was near, as well...Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 5, 2009, 12:46pm

Silverfang sat and watched Sunsong shape the dens. He decided to kill some time and went to bathe himself. He went to the river and removed his clothing. The water was cold an Silverfang shivered as he stepped in. Starfire is still hunting, he thought to himself, She'll be gone for a while. Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 5, 2009, 4:54pm

Windsoft to Longdusk, Silverfang, Shellslip, Firecat

Windsoft was more than ready for a refreshing dip in the water after the night's travel and slipping through bushes, trees, and groundcover. Miniscule seeds had fallen in her hair and clothes, and the night's condensation had turned the traildust into what felt like, to her, a sticky plaster. After eating and clearing away the debris of the meal, she headed for the river, altering her course as she spotted Silverfang already there.

She loosened the lacings of her dress and slipped out of it, then gave it a good, hard shake before setting it aside and discarding her ankleboots. "How's the water?" she asked the younger hunter, dipping a toe in. She shivered, then took a breath and walked straight in. "Firecat and Shellslip will be along," she said as she sank to her chin in the cold water. "I heard them talking as I passed them."

Windsoft looked around, wondering where her erstwhile partner had gone. Missing, and she wasn't surprised. She sighed. He never relaxed and Sunsong wasn't around to try to steal a smile from him. *Longdusk, my friend, we scouted thoroughly while we waited for the tribe to join us,* she sent, guessing what he was probably doing. *Come, bathe in the river and relax. Let others guard; you deserve some rest.* She added a light note of teasing. *Don't make me wake up Sunsong and send her after you!*

Mist to Stormfire

Mist had come down the tree in time to hear Whirlwind's comments and Stormfire's defense. His expression didn't change, but he felt himself flinch inside. Many of the tribe's younger generations held the same opinion of him that Whirlwind did, and he could only assume it was his friendship with Sureshot that had given Stormfire a differing opinion. He was a 'dry, frostbitten' healer, although he didn't truly think that 'stick' was an accurate description, to someone like Whirlwind. She was impetuous and wild, qualities that Mist could never allow in himself.

But Stormfire's defense worried him. Whirlwind was her sister, her best friend. He shouldn't be a cause of conflict between them, not when they still didn't know what they may be to each other.

**Stormfire,** he sent softly, staying in the background so Whirlwind wouldn't realize he'd overheard them. **There's no need to leap to my defense, especially when Whirlwind's opinion has some basis in fact. My hide isn't scratched, I promise you.** He infused his send with a feeling of faint amusement.

Nightsun to Journey, anyone else?

Nightsun cautiously mounted the steps the plantshaper had moulded from the wood, finding a platform large enough for her and several others. She would have sought a smaller one, sensing still the reserve Wingfoot's kin had for her. But she was not accustomed to darting like a bird amongst the higher limbs and her heart quivered at the thought of going higher yet. So she crossed to the far side of the cupped platform and knelt to remove her pack. While the Wolfriders ate their meat raw, she had yet to try it and had little desire to do so. Her travel rations would do her for some days yet, and she rather liked the bars of mixed berry, meat, nuts, and honey, mixed and pounded together.

The scuff of leather on wood announced an arrival, and Nightsun smiled as she watched young Journey step onto the platform and drop an armload of furs. She found him an eager, lively companion and enjoyed his wide-ranging curiosity and his open, inquisitive mind. He felt no reservations about her, and that soothed her heart.

"Kitling," she greeted him. "Have you not grown tired of my stories?"

Post by kita on Jul 5, 2009, 6:33pm

Silverfang to Windsoft

Silverfang looked to the other wolfrider that joined him. He smiled as he saw her reaction. "Well, as you found out, the water's pretty cold. If we had got here when the sun was still up, or when it just went down, it would be much nicer after a day of absorbing sunlight."

The soft breeze made Silverfang shiver, but brought along a whiff of Starfire's scent. *Over here,* he sent to his wolf friend. After a moment, Starfire showed up behind him. He smiled at the sight of his wolf-friend's blood stained muzzle. "I see you were able to find something to hunt. Did you bring some for the rest of us?" Starfire sent him an affirmation.
Post by peachbug on Jul 5, 2009, 8:22pm

Starpath gazed golden-eyed through the mass of branches unnaturally swirled around the magicked tree, where Sunsong was taking her rest. The plantshaper was the most ambitious elf he'd met, certainly, next to the Wolfrider's chieftess. Even Stormfire just expected a good holt. Sunsong wanted some sort of woodland Palace, not that he minded. Starpath was appreciative to have someone so thoughtful who barely thought behind the kindness of the the moment. That was definitely a Wolfrider trait he appreciated.

Grabbing a lower denning branch, he lifted himself to her level, observing the sleeping shaper. She looked drained of life, but for her breath and that incessant smile on her lips. Not intending to wake her, he sent. **Sunsong? Have you thought of what this new holt will look like? Can you show me?** After all, she would be its prime creator, from his understanding of Wolfrider ways, of their passing stories of a Father Tree. A Father Tree sounded a comforting thing.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by peachbug on Jul 5, 2009, 8:49pm

(OOC: LOL, Nightsun has those hiking Nutrigrain bars!)

Evenstar to Softling

Evenstar carried extra furs for bedding to the others cheerfully, humming, and offering as she went. Many were a little tired, and it was good to set up dens before the sun rose. She enjoyed the cooler weather they'd found here, but other Wolfriders preferred to be snugged like a winter bear. *Silent?* The tanner sent gently, unsure to interrupt. *Have you any sleeping furs yet?* As fantastically useful as he was, she worried he would distract himself with all the new things.

Softling trailed shortly behind Evenstar, losing her arms under a great furry mass, struggling to let them not drag. "Surely he can remember--" She mumbled aloud thoughtlessly.

"Oh hush!" Evenstar stuck out her tongue at the golden haired tracker. "I didn't say he couldn't. Just making sure he did!" She eyed the stack Softling carried with amusement. Softling hadn't given any of them to anyone yet. "And what did you plan for those? You don't seem too keen on letting them go, apparently. There are better ways to stay warm."

"No! I was...helping. Like you, I was going to give them to the...others." Her face was red like a berry. Evenstar laughed at Softling's great bundle as compared to her rapidly decreasing one.

"You have to actually offer them, cub. Otherwise, you're just prancing around under the fur of all these beasts without a Wolfrider having any clue what you're doing." Softling stared at the furs in her arms, tight-lipped. "What if I just carry them for you?" Softling said finally. She didn't know where to begin...

Evenstar sighed, and reached for the stack. "I'm sure there are other things to be done. Ask Windsoft or Longdusk. You're a hunter through and through, there are more things like that to help with." She offered an encouraging smile, and turned away.

Softling was left standing there, biting her lip, and trying not to look like a cub that'd been caught with her fist in a bees' nest. There was no point in trying to help the tanner, she managed well enough. All her efforts since the arrival of Nightsun and her brothers seemed childlike and annoying. There was no tracking needed right now, and the best she could do was to go take a bath or roll with the wolves for a while. Maybe not in that order.

--------------

Redthorn to Wingfoot

Redthorn admired Sunsong's work with crossed arms, nodding approval as she examined it. If only Sureshot had seen the potential of the maiden like this, even he would've had a hard time letting her go!

A ways away, she spotted Nightsun and Journey coversing at one of the lower den branches. The spirit speaking maiden certainly was a cheerful thing, like Sunsong in her joys, yet seeming heavy in memory. She hadn't asked the maiden's age yet, but she had a feeling it was more than a cub's turn of the seasons. Wingfoot had taken to her, a good thing for Nightsun and her brothers to have such a tie within the tribe. A good thing for Wingfoot, Redthorn considered, though maybe not for Longdusk and Lightgaze. The two had been tormented by the possibilities of the presence of their loved ones spirits since Nightsun had joined them. Their entire sense of the Now had been altered.

Redthorn had briefly considered the possibilities of Nightsun's ability, casting her thoughts back to a lifemate and cub very, very many years ago. If her cub and mate wanted to speak with her, it would apparently happen at the Father Tree, or where ever the High Ones dealt it to be, when they dealt it to be. She reminded herself of that, unwilling to show weakness when her loved ones felt the wear of the presence of spirits.

**Wingfoot?** She sent in amusement as Journey pursued his conversation with Nightsun. **You'll have to be really nipping tails to get this maiden to yourself...**
Post by Anna on Jul 5, 2009, 9:32pm

Sunsong to Starpath

Jul 5, 2009, 8:22pm, peachbug wrote:

**Sunsong? Have you thought of what this new holt will look like? Can you show me?**

Sunsong stirred, rousing hazily from her sleep at the gentle sending. It took her a moment to recognize the feel of the mind brushing softly against hers, and she smiled as she opened her eyes the least little bit. **Starpath,** she acknowledged, welcome and friendly warmth in her send. She closed her eyes, too tired to keep them open, and snuggled into the sleeping fur. **I don't know what the new holt will look like yet. I have to see the place first. I could make this one lovely...** Images danced between them, of the ring of trees with thick trunks surrounded by wide branches, dark opening at the fork of branch and trunk... **Our holt, then one we left behind...it was more than just trees. It was home, a place where our parents were born, and their parents, and theirs before them.**

Sunsong sighed, but it was not an unhappy sigh, and her lips curved in a dreamy smile. **We will make a new home, new holt, and there we will be parents, and our cubs will be born. It will be perfect. We will make it so.** Fanciful imaginings of huge, sweeping trees, meadows full of flowers, and the light, joyous laughter of children entwined with the plantshaper's send. Imaginings of her tribe, with Starpath, Ashglow, and Nightsun included, played in her mind, sitting on the banks of a clear brooks, weaving flowers into circlets, tucking them into their hair, or splashing each other in the water. Sunsong imagined a future not far away and in her dreaming shared that hoped for time to come with him.

Post by multifacets on Jul 5, 2009, 9:39pm

Shellslip to Firecat, Windsoft, Silverfang.

Shellslip shrugged, and shook her head over Sunsong. "We should bring our sunny one something to eat in the evening. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. All this shaping has to be hungry work, don't you think?"

Firecat offered a bath, and Shellslip brightened. "Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I'll meet you there," she said, and immediately went to the water, where there was already a little crowd. The more the merrier. The redhead started removing her clothes. "Has anyone seen any shells?" she asked hopefully as the garments were neatly folded and put aside. "They'd make a nice snack, now and in the evening."

Silent to Evenstar, anyone.

He hadn't expected to be addressed. He would have to start expecting it, perhaps. As Wanderlust wandered off again, leaving him alone and off to the side, Silent replied to Evenstar. **[affirmation]/I have one,** he sent. **Thank you.** He spread out the large fur on the ground, fur side up, and lay down on half, still dressed, before pulling the other half over him and putting his head on his bundled-up mantle.

Another night by himself. Those had become habit again, after finding the river. Habits were hard to break. Did he want company? He wasn't sure. It was so hard to reach out, though Evenstar and Nightsun, and others, had been so kind to him on this journey. Perhaps he still feared being shunted aside, or he was still pining over Longmane and the total acceptance she had offered.

The quiet one sighed, fingers tightening on the edge of the fur, and pulled it over his head as his mind almost automatically drifted to the Song, his personal lullaby. It was a little louder now.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 5, 2009, 10:42pm

Silverfang to Shellslip
Silverfang shook his head. "Sorry. I haven't seen any." He looked around from shore to shore, scanning for shells. All he saw was rocks and gravel. "Hmm... maybe you'll have more luck searching underwater."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by multifacets on Jul 5, 2009, 11:44pm

Shellslip to Silverfang:

Shellslip pouted a little as she realized her tribemate was right. Normally she didn't have to go digging about for shells, as mussels clung to rocks, but it looked as though she would have to this time.

"Later," she said breezily, and stepped into the water. "I don't want to muddy up the river for everyone."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kris on Jul 6, 2009, 12:07am

Stormfire to Mist, Whirlwind

Jul 5, 2009, 4:54pm, Anna wrote:
**Stormfire,** he sent softly, staying in the background so Whirlwind wouldn't realize he'd overheard them. **There's no need to leap to my defense, especially when Whirlwind's opinion has some basis in fact. My hide isn't scratched, I promise you.** He infused his send with a feeling of faint amusement.

Stormfire handed several pouches to Whirlwind. **Oh, you have your flaws, old one, as do I,** she asserted. **But my sister would sooner see me paired off to someone of her choosing. And you and I both know, I choose for myself.** She walked beside Whirlwind to another platform. **Thank you,** she added to Mist. **You would have been right to feel insulted, but you thought first of my sister and myself. You're not so frostbitten as you may think, Healer.**

She wanted to say more, but held back. There was time enough when they settled down for the night. Glancing at Whirlwind, who walked in silence beside her, Stormfire said quietly, "I'm sorry. Next time I won't take your head off."

Whirlwind chuckled, turning her head so fast that her hair spun around her. "You call that taking my head off? I taught you to fight better than that, little sister." She reached out and jabbed at Stormfire's ribs; growling playfully, Stormfire jabbed back, and Whirlwind snickered. "Your trouble is the same as any maiden who's just lost her heart to someone. You think Mist is the only one for you." Whirlwind's smile was kinder, but still held a tinge of mockery. "Someone will come, Stormfire, who will set you ablaze and be everything you've ever thought you'd need and more. And it won't be an elf so afraid of his wolf-self that he holds himself apart from life."

The words cut. Stormfire exhaled sharply and forced herself not to grow angry, even though she resented the implication that she was no more than an infatuated cub, too new to emotion to think straight or even know what was best for herself. "And how do you know Mist won't do?" she returned.

"Do you really think you got that name on some elder's whim? You're too fierce at heart to bind yourself to Mist. You need passion and adventure, not safety. You need someone who will fire your blood and never let you get away with anything, especially in disappointing yourself."

Stormfire almost laughed. And why does she think I attached myself to Mist? Is she that blind? She chose to change the subject. "There's a likely spot," she said, pointing to a ledge close to Sunsong's, but higher off the ground. "Will you share with me, or go elsewhere?"

Whirlwind chuckled. "Share? No. You'll want Mist, and I intend to have some fun myself. I'll take that ledge over there."

Journey to Nightsun, Wingfoot

Quote:
The scuff of leather on wood announced an arrival, and Nightsun smiled as she watched young Journey step onto the platform and drop an armload of furs. She found him an eager, lively companion and enjoyed his wide-ranging curiosity and his open, inquisitive mind. He felt no reservations about her, and that soothed her heart.

"Kitling," she greeted him. "Have you not grown tired of my stories?"

"Not at all," Journey answered, grinning. He reached into his pack and rummaged for something. Some of his treasures were solely for himself, bits and pieces of things that held no interest for anyone else. Some were for his mother, things he knew would delight her eye or lift her spirits. And a few, picked up here and there, were meant to be handed to friends, gifts intended to bring a little joy.

"I also wanted to give you this," he said, and placed the vine-like bracelet he'd found at the mountain into her hand. "I started to give it to a tribemate after I found it," he said, "but she didn't care for it much. But it does seem to suit . . ."

Journey trailed off as Wingfoot climbed up to the platform, dark eyes narrowing. He summoned up a cheerful smile. "Hello, Wingfoot," he chirped.

"You're here again?" Wingfoot arched an eyebrow. "Don't you have a nest, or some troll's cache, or even a human's refuse pile you could be robbing right now?"

"I'm listening to tales." Journey put a finger to his lips and tipped his head towards Nightsun. "You like tales, Wingfoot? I'm sure Nightsun's coming up with a good one."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 6, 2009, 12:31am

Silverfang to Shellslip

After bathing himself, Silverfang donned his clothing. He picked up a few shells he ended up finding along the way for Shellslip. He walked alongside Starfire on his way back to the camp. He looked towards the east where the sun will come up and decided to go to sleep when he got back.

When he got back, he walked over to Shellslip and handed her the shells. "Here, I found these on my way back."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by meimei on Jul 6, 2009, 12:45am

Ashglow to Softling

Ashglow still found the reversal of sleep patterns hard at times. Though there'd been times they'd hunted or travelled at night, usually his siblings and he - and their tribe before them - had travelled during the day. It was hard to break a routine he'd been accustomed to for over four hundred years. He watched Sunsong as she shaped their place for the night. A part of him was still awed by the plantshaper's powers. And he took a little time to gaze around at the platforms and steps she'd made as the group began to settle for a rest.

It caught his attention as first Journey, then Wingfoot approached Nightsun, and Starpath climb the steps to watch over the sleeping Sunsong. It was a strange feeling, still, to not always have one of them by his side. He no longer felt suspicious of the Wolfriders, or the wariness he'd first felt. But that didn't stop him from feeling awkward. About as awkward as the young Softling looked, when Evenstar took the furs from her and nudged her off to do something else.

He hadn't spoken to the skittish youth much. She'd been among the wolfriders as wary of he and his siblings as he'd been of them. But he wandered over to where she stood anyway.

"There's nothing wrong with wanting to help. Just remember where your strengths lie. You're a tracker, right? So you'll have plenty of chances to be useful, even if it doesn't feel like it right now."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 6, 2009, 10:17am

Mist to Stormfire

Mist winced at Stormfire’s ‘old wolf’ comment and sighed. He wasn’t so old as that, and he had no claim to the title of elder that she occasionally labeled him with, but her teasing did make it difficult, sometimes, to replace the image of the squalling girl-cub of the past with the youthful chieftess of today. It was sometimes a shock to turn around and see her, mature and graceful, instead of the child she’d been until so recently.

**I know Whirlwind, chieftess, and I know where her words are coming from. She takes what she sees as all there is. My ‘old’ hide can take her barbs – and your defense will only make her prickle you harder, just to prove you wrong. Do you really care if she thinks I’m a frostbitten stick?** His sending turned sly and teasing. **If she thought I was anything else, she might try to lure me to her furs…**

As he sent, he moved from the tree to the river. Silverfang, Shellslip, and Windsoft were already there and bathing. He joined them in the water to clean up, but didn’t join in their conversation. Whirlwind’s words hadn’t hurt, but they’d thrown him into an introspective mood. His bath was quickly over, and he spread his leathers to air over a bush during the day. Wearing only his loincloth, he climbed one of the trees, higher than Sunsong’s shaping, and settled on a branch to wait for the sun’s rising. The sounds from the Wolfriders were dim, muffled by the leaves and the woven roof Sunsong had made. Wolfriders were always quiet, even at the height of any celebration.

The still unseen sun lightened the sky on one horizon, paling the night-dark to fading shades of grey.

Nightsun to Journey, Wingfoot, Ashglow, Starpath

Nightsun reached out and took the bracelet from Journey, then turned it over in her hands, her fingers delicately tracing the fine work of the filigree. “Oh,” she sighed. “How lovely!” She slipped it over her hand and admired the luster of the gold against her dark skin. “You are thoughtful, kitling, and generous, as well.” She lifted the arm that was now decorated with the bracelet and touched his cheek gently in thanks. “It goes poorly with these crudely tanned clothes, but no matter. It gives me pleasure to see it.”

She turned her gaze to Wingfoot as he joined them and held her arm up for him to see. “Is this not lovely, dear one? See what my young friend has given me!”

Even as she showed Wingfoot the bracelet, she cast a delighted send to her brothes. **Ashglow, Starpath! Is this not beautiful?** she asked happily, sending them the image of the bracelet on her wrist. **Is young Journey not kind?** And then, on a different topic altogether. **Will you sleep here on this platform, or have you friends you will join today? There is room for more than we three, and share we must. The plantshaper only made seven of these tree nests, but there seems to be room for all when shared.**
Post by viola on Jul 6, 2009, 1:27pm

Firecat -> Shellslip, Silverfang, Windsoft

When Shellslip rushed off, Firecat followed at a more quieter pace. She had no intention of tiring herself even more, if she didn't know when they would leave again. She liked this place, she thought as she looked over her shoulder, seeing that one of the darkskinned kneeled next to Sunsong. Lucky gal, she snorted, before continueing her way.

When she reached the river, she just saw that Silverfang handed over the shells to her friend, and she grinned: "Bribing my furmate, are you, Silverfang?", while winking at Windsoft.

Longdusk -> Windsoft

Longdusk snorted at Windsoft's send. He knew. He knew this place was safe and sound, but he just needed something to do. Still, he quickly and quietly made his way to the river. Ever since their journey began, Windsoft had sort of became a friend.
Still, upon seeing the others, amongst them Firecat, he refused to come out of hiding, and turned around. **Restless,** he sent in images. And it was true, he felt uncomfortable, because of the new elves around, because he longed to find a place where they could stay forever. He would return to the river later, when the others would turn in for the day.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by peachbug on Jul 6, 2009, 7:41pm

Softling to Ashglow

Softling nodded awkwardly to Ashglow's encouragement. The urge to bite at every new thing, every uncomfortable thing had mostly begun to pass for her, though some discomfort remained. It was almost as if with the arrival of Nightsun, a new calm or determination had touched her, despite her initial fit of worry. She'd been stubborn, stupid, all number of things. Her efforts to improve though, seemed fruitless. She wanted to be a better Wolfrider, not just a cub that wallowed in the dirt with the wolves. What could Ashglow know of that, really?

Unwilling to sacrifice her hard work at being tolerable to interact with, Softling did something she hadn't tried before; she humored Ashglow.

"I will try." She offered blankly.

-------------

Starpath to Sunsong and Nightsun

Starpath was enraptured by Sunsong's brilliant, dreamy sending of the holt she knew and dreamed of, a magicked dream of a Palace to him. All a part of the woods and everything that made it, yet set apart for elves, for elves of all sorts to know as a home. In his daze, he lost all sense of wariness or worry, any thoughts of leaving the Wolfriders for their own traveling again. **It is perfect...** He sent his genuine admiration and love for this shaper's Father Tree vision. **And only you could make it.** Starpath hoped this soothed her thoughts as she slept.

As Nightsun's sending struck him, he chuckled. **Beautiful sister...what sort of shiny thing is that made of?**

Post by Anna on Jul 7, 2009, 1:00am

Windsoft to Longdusk

Windsoft sent a wordless response of understand and empathy. Often enough she felt uncomfortable and restless in the press of too many others. It was why she became a scout – and why she made such a good one. But she was elf, not wolf, and so made and effort to spend her time with her own kind. When she was younger, Softling’s age and older, she’d spent little time among the tribe and preferred the company of the pack, or no company at all. It was only as she matured that she’d realized the wolf pack couldn’t meet all of her needs, and that she did need the company of her own kind to feel complete.

Still, she well knew the restlessness that Longdusk was feeling, and the need to be away from the tribe. She didn’t press him. **Sunsong shaped less than an eight of nests for us all to share. You’re welcome to join Journey and I when you’re ready to sleep.**

For herself, she was ready to sleep now. Choosing a couple of furs from the few that were left, she pulled them around her shoulders and found one of the platform nests that was still empty. Laying one fur down, she sank down into its plush softness and pulled the other over her. Dawn was coming, she could feel it pressing close. She yawned and closed her eyes.

Sunsong, Nightsun to Starpath, Journey, Wingfoot

Sunsong smiled and sighed as she sank more deeply into sleep, dreams of holts to be and holts left behind dancing through her mind as she shaped and molded with all the pleasure and joy the magic gave her. She rolled onto her side and curled up, hugging the soft fur close to her.

Nightsun’s response was bright with happiness and surprised pleasure. **I know not, and it matters not. It is lovely, and a thoughtful gesture from my curious friend.** Nightsun’s fingers continued to play around the metal, marveling as it warmed from her skin. **It is hard, but not so hard as the metal of weapons. I shall have to take great care so no damage comes to it.**

Nightsun’s response to her brother broke off abruptly as a yawn caught her by surprise. Her eyes widened, watering from the force of it, and she gazed at Wingfoot and Journey apologetically. “Forgive me,” she said, chagrined. “It has been a long night.” Most of it spent all but jogging to keep pace with the wolves.
Post by kita on Jul 7, 2009, 1:11am

Silverfang to Firecat

Silverfang shook his head. "Not at all, Firecat. She wanted shells, and I found some." He grinned. "You jealous?" Then, something caught his eye. Or lack thereof. It was then he noticed that Starfire was gone. She must have went back to camp, he thought.Re:
Back to top Go down
Westering Holt
Holt Mistress

Character sheet
Elf Name:
Position in Tribe:

The Day's Rest Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Day's Rest   The Day's Rest EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kris on Jul 7, 2009, 1:29am

Stormfire to Mist

Jul 6, 2009, 10:17am, Anna wrote:
**I know Whirlwind, chieftess, and I know where her words are coming from. She takes what she sees as all there is. My ‘old’ hide can take her barbs – and your defense will only make her prickle you harder, just to prove you wrong. Do you really care if she thinks I’m a frostbitten stick?** His sending turned sly and teasing. **If she thought I was anything else, she might try to lure me to her furs…**

If Whirlwind joined with you, she'd only want to play. Stormfire wisely didn't reply to Mist's sending. The bitterness of her own thoughts surprised her; she loved Whirlwind, and had since she was barely able to walk.

She sat on a ledge, dangling one leg off its edge, and considered Mist's words. Of course Whirlwind's opinion was important to her--and Stormfire wanted her to think well of any pairing she made, whether it was with Mist or some other elf. And it irritated her that Whirlwind simply dismissed Mist as a passing fancy, a romance that would wither during the snows and dissipate on the next spring breeze.

As if I'm still just a feckless cub who can't make up my mind.

Sighing, Stormfire slid off her boots and clothes and crawled under her furs. The pelts were soft and sleek, old ones from home that still carried familiar scents. **Come and join me, Mist, before we both fall asleep,** she invited him.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by multifacets on Jul 7, 2009, 2:06am

Shellslip to Firecat, Silverfang.

Shellslip mock-pouted at Firecat as her fingers curled over the shells. "Your fur-mate?" she teased, and leaned over a bit to give her tribemate a teasing nibble on the ear. "Thank you, Silverfang," she said with a smile. "I'll save these for Sunsong when she wakes up." She waded to the shore to put the shells by her clothing, then came back to wash her hair.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 7, 2009, 2:28am

Silverfang chuckled and sat on the shore. He wondered where Starfire had gotten off to. *Starfire,* he sent, *Where are you?* Moments passed, and Silverfang sat in silence. He soon received images of the rest of the tribe, the place where they were staying and where Silverfang left the glaive he won from the troll many seasons ago. He let out a gentle sigh of relief, at least she was okay. Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 7, 2009, 8:02am

Mist to Stormfire

Mist blinked and his gaze focused once more on the pink and gold hues of the sunrise. He chuckled, realizing he'd become so lost in the eddying pools of stream of conscious thoughts he'd been sitting in the highest boughs and missing a beautiful sunrise.

Watching the sun rise was always a good way to end his night. Mist didn't bother to send an answer, but instead slipped from the branch he'd been sitting on to go to the lower levels, past the limb and leaf roof, and to land in a crouch, with the barest fo sounds, on the platform Stormfire had chosen.

She had already snuggled down in her fur and he paused for a moment to look at her. The gentle curve of cheek, the sooty fan of lashes, the soft tumble of midnight curls. This was not the face of a child, and Mist felt the lingering remains of his doubts tremble.

He slipped beneath and fur with her and wrapped an arm around her waist, snugging her close to him. He sighed and rested his cheek against the stop of her head, breathing in the scent of her hair.

"I wasn't always called Mist," he murmurred quietly. "Once the tribe knew me as Whitefire." He chuckled. "Your sister would have liked him."

Post by viola on Jul 7, 2009, 12:57pm

Firecat -> Shellslip, Silverfang, (Windsoft)

Firecat winked at Silverfang, just as Shellslip spoke up and leaned over to nibble at her ear, which sent a pleasant shiver down her spine. "All right," she purred, "Not mine per se, but you can't deny we're not regulars, sweatpea." Then she lifted her golden eyes to meet Silverfang's. "Why don't you join us later, Silverfang? After our bath," she added, before she dove under, surfacing a few meters onwards. "Sunsong's made very comfortable places to spend the next day, and she won't wake up this day, she's exhausted." She noticed Windsoft leaving, but didn't really pay any notice. The female probably went to sleep already.

~*~

Longdusk -> Windsoft

He wasn't so sure if he wanted to spend the day with Journey, but to be with his friend didn't sound all that bad. He wanted to check on his mother, first, but he was almost convinced that she could do a night without him. **I might take you up on that offer, later,** he told his fellow scout.
He turned back to the temporary sleeping spots, seeking out his mother, who he soon found at one of the platforms, sound asleep. He sat with her for a bit, striking her hair out of her face which stirred her slightly, but she didn't wake up.

Longdusk was fully aware that it was him she had left the familiar holt for, and it was what had made him so protective of her, and it was what made him allow her to cling to him, in the time of her need.

~*~

Lightgaze dreamed of the holt, not for the first time, and unaware of her son's presence. But her dream seemed to be slightly different each time. Sometimes she flew over the holt, as if she levitated, Other times she descended, and neared former tribesmates. She had seen her sister, bellowing like she used to, unappreciative of her tribesmates. It had been no different from before, when she looked down at Sunsong. It had also been Fernflower last words to Lightgaze that finally had convinced her to make a leap of faith, and rush after the just departed elves.

She saw Hazel and his young sister Beesweets. Hazel seemed sad, and she felt for him. But for the first time, the voices from her tribesmates stood out more. Before, it had just been silence, or buzzing, as if they were a swarm of working bees. Right now, she thought she could hear more, if only she could come closer.
But her limbs felt heavy, as if she was dreaming that she had to move through thick mud. It tired her, but she got there, and there Hazel was, sad and apparently grieving, with his sister wrapping her arm around his shoulders, and Lightgaze narrowed her eyes to concentrate on what Hazel told her sister.
"I should have gone with Firecat. I should have."

Eyes wide, Lightgaze backed off. What? Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 7, 2009, 6:27pm

Silverfang to Firecat

"I think I'm gonna head back now," Silverfang said with a yawn, "I'm tired." He stood up, stretched and was on his way.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by meimei on Jul 7, 2009, 9:39pm

Ashglow to Softling; Nightsun

Ashglow could tell - despite Softling's reply - that his words had been of no help to the young wolfrider. Though it had been a long time, he recalled how much it had meant to him to be of use to his birth tribe when he was young. When just doing what he was good at didn't seem enough. To feel the need to prove one's usefulness. He'd thought he could help her see that, but he supposed it was a lesson one had to learn from experience, not words.

"That's the most anyone can expect of you, or anyone else, Kitling." He told her softly, pausing when his sister's send reached him.

Shaking his head, he glanced up at the platform where Nightsun had settled down for the night. He really had no use for such trinkets, but he could tell the gift had pleased Nighstun. **If it pleases you.** Amusement tinged his sending, but paused to consider the rest of her question. **I'll join you later, perhaps. The sun makes me restless.**
Post by kris on Jul 7, 2009, 11:59pm

Wingfoot, Journey to Nightsun

Jul 7, 2009, 1:00am, Anna wrote:
Nightsun’s response to her brother broke off abruptly as a yawn caught her by surprise. Her eyes widened, watering from the force of it, and she gazed at Wingfoot and Journey apologetically. “Forgive me,” she said, chagrined. “It has been a long night.” Most of it spent all but jogging to keep pace with the wolves.

"No worries." Wingfoot eyed Journey. "I'm sure Windsoft's wondering where you are, my lad."

"Oh, she knows I'm here," Journey said nonchalantly, giving him a wide-eyed, innocent look. He turned a sweet smile on Nightsun. Wingfoot could feel it giving him a sour stomach. "I'm glad you like the bracelet, Nightsun. You ought to ask Stormfire to show you the weird weapon she found there, too. It's this strange claw-like thing, all made of brightmetal. I told her later she could attach it to one of her javelins . . ."

Wingfoot wondered why Journey couldn't have a sudden attack of shyness right about now. Failing that, he'd settle for a skyfire-bolt to knock the youngster off the ledge and on his rear. But even as Nightsun laughed, Journey got to his feet. "I'm off to get some sleep." He gave Nightsun a winsome smile. "See you later, Nightsun. Sleep well, Wingfoot." The youth threw Wingfoot a mischievous wink. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do--oh, wait--"

Wingfoot growled and aimed a not-quite-playful cuff at Journey's curly head; the youngster scampered out of the tree with a laugh,leaving Wingfoot to settle next to Nightsun. He snorted and met Nightsun's wide, astonished eyes, which glowed like honey in sunlight. "Journey's all right," he sighed. "He means well . . . actually, no, he doesn't mean well at all. He's a bundle of contradictions, and half the time he's a pest. The other half . . . High Ones. He wins you over in spite of yourself."
Post by Anna on Jul 8, 2009, 12:37am

Nightsun to Wingfoot

Nightsun chuckled softly, gently removing the bracelet from her wrist and setting it inside her pack. She would be pleased to wear it, but she worried that sleeping with it might mar the soft metal. She closed her pack and settled back into the furs, so much finer and softer than anything she’d ever managed. She unconsciously leaned against Wingfoot as she looked up at him, blinking sleepily.

“You’re wrong, dear one. He always means well,” she said, patting his chest gently. “I do not find him to be a pest. He is a sweet child, with a loving heart and a generous nature. I take great pleasure in his company.” She blinked slowly, and turned her face against him to stifle another yawn. “I am sorry, Wingfoot, but I fear I’m falling asleep on you. Even the sun cannot seem to wake me again.”

Post by kris on Jul 8, 2009, 1:08am

Mist to Stormfire

Jul 7, 2009, 8:02am, Anna wrote:
"I wasn't always called Mist," he murmurred quietly. "Once the tribe knew me as Whitefire." He chuckled. "Your sister would have liked him."

Stormfire chuckled, clasping his hand in hers and twining her legs through his. "Whirlwind loves a fair face and a daring heart. It's why she befriended Tallspear, and it's why she's taken up with Oakstaff." She watched the morning light strengthen, bringing a golden glow to the trees and leaves.

*I might have liked Whitefire too,* she sent to Mist. *But I've known Mist all my life, and I like you as you are.* She leaned back against his chest, raising her hand to draw her fingers along his cheek. *When I was small, I used to think you were as old as Father. I don't remember how old I was when I learned otherwise. But I wasn't much older. I used to think of you as I did Keenedge, an older brother whom Father didn't have to keep in line.* She chuckled in spite of herself. *As you can tell, that didn't last long . . .*

Mist's amusement warmed Stormfire through, and she glanced back up at his face. *I'm not angry at Whirlwind,* she sent, her tone grave. *But she needs to know that her choices are not my choices, and what lifts her heart is not what lifts mine. She is my sister, and I love her--and what wounds me is that she thinks I will suddenly come around to her way of thinking, as if I haven't considered things for myself. As if my choices are wrong solely because I'm younger.*Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by viola on Jul 8, 2009, 11:00am

Firecat -> Silverfang

"Aww," she pouted, disappointed that he didn't want to stay longer. "You're not fun. You sure?" she added, when he left the river. She would've loved him to stay, but apparently, he had other plans. Oh well, she shrugged, his loss in the end. She splattered some water towards Shellslip. "And you? Not tired, too, are you?"Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kita on Jul 8, 2009, 8:06pm

Silverfang walked back to the camp, eying the colors of the coming sun. He yawned and stretched. He eventually met up with Starfire. He wasn't exactly sure where to sleep, so he found some place out of the way and Starfire allowed him to rest his head on her fur.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 8, 2009, 11:22pm

Mist to Stormfire

Mist said, lifting their entwined hands to his mouth and brushing her fingers against his lips. Stormfire might have liked his younger self, wild and impetuous as he’d been. That thoughtlessness had cost the lives of his friends and tribemates, and whenever he felt the call of the wild wolf-blood, that memory helped keep him balanced. Maybe that’s what made Stormfire so hard to resist, once she tore the film of childhood from his eyes. She took risks, yes, but she was passionate and full of life’s fire – but with sense uncommon in one so young.

He slid down in the furs, turning Stormfire on her back and resting his head on the soft swell of her breast. His left arm draped over her waist, and the other curved up to pillow her head. He listened to the reassuring thump of her heart and the susurration of breath in her lungs, all of which spoke of bright, vivid, healthy life.

*There’s chronological age and spirit age,* he sent thoughtfully. *You’re young in seasons, Stormfire, but you’ve never been really young. Even as a cub, you knew your own mind and your reasoning was sound. You never made stupid mistakes. While some choices you make may have been, and may well be, wrong, the reasons you make them aren’t, and only the future and consequences will tell you which they are.* He smiled faintly, running a strand of her hair between two fingers, enjoying the silken slide of it. *You may come to decide that I’m not what you want, after all. I don’t think either of us will regret that we gave it a try, though. I know I won’t.*
Post by kris on Jul 8, 2009, 11:42pm

Journey to Firecat, Shellslip

Jul 8, 2009, 11:00am, viola wrote:
She splattered some water towards Shellslip. "And you? Not tired, too, are you?"

Journey strolled along the river, enjoying the song of the waters and the first sparkling light of dawn. He noticed Firecat and Shellslip playing in the shallows and grinned. "Hello," he said, and sat down on a rock. "A little late for a bath, isn't it?" He started to pull off his boots. "On the other hand, it's never too late to just play in the water . . ."Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by multifacets on Jul 8, 2009, 11:43pm

Shellslip to Firecat and Journey:

Shellslip lowered her eyelashes halfway to give Firecat a coquettish look. "Not yeeeet," she purred, and splashed the other woman right back. "Who should we gang up on tonight, friend? Or do you want me to yourself? I won't mind either one." She smiled prettily, and giggled.

That was when Journey showed up. The gatherer looked at Firecat and lifted her eyebrows playfully. **Looks like my question's been answered!** she lock-sent, grinning. **What say you, fur-mate? Fair game?**Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kris on Jul 9, 2009, 11:33pm

Stormfire to Mist

Jul 8, 2009, 11:22pm, Anna wrote:
He smiled faintly, running a strand of her hair between two fingers, enjoying the silken slide of it. *You may come to decide that I’m not what you want, after all. I don’t think either of us will regret that we gave it a try, though. I know I won’t.*

Stormfire smiled and turned her head so that her cheek rested on Mist's hair. The night had been long and she was tired, but she didn't want to sleep. This moment was one she wanted to hold, like a puff-flower's ball resting on her fingertips.

The morning sun's rays gilded the glade, and then began to fade. The woods were deep enough to shield them from the sun's light as it rose in the sky; dawn's light would soon be a distant memory. Stormlight looked up at the canopy of boughs above her, and felt an inexplicable joy spread through her.

*Mist,* she sent, gently, not wanting to wake him. He answered wordlessly, and she continued, ready to stop if he wished. *We aren't far from home now--the home we'll make for ourselves, I mean. I can feel it. We're so close.* She closed her eyes and was startled to feel tears slip through her lids. *I've never been so happy,* she sent to him. *Here--now--in this place, even though it won't be our holt, my heart is full! It won't be long. We're almost home.*Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by peachbug on Jul 9, 2009, 11:56pm

Softling sat on the edge of her shaped nest, a few sleeping spots from the ground where Snapbone watched her anxiously. He paced a little this way, then that, then sat and stared up, golden brown eyes boring up at her golden green. **Go sleep?** He sent, picturing something similar to the ground based nestings she'd made before, ones where he could share or at least get his nose in.

**Yes.** Softling affirmed gently, but sent an image, scents and sounds of the wolf pack, who made their own way to sleeping. He was nearly not a puppy really, almost full grown from his gangly state when they'd left Sureshot's holt, almost ready to ride like the others. Sleeping apart from her pack hadn't done much good for her, sleeping from his could only be worse; they were not nearly as forgiving to outsiders. Snapbone whined, but she mentally pushed him till he sulked and went away.

Softling sighed and her thoughts drifted over the others with her eyes, her head buzzing faintly with their open sendings. As she thought, she picked brambles from her hair, regretting not taking the bathe, but too solid where she was to head to the river. Such excitement, so close to a new home...her mind tugged to think of the past, memories never remembered so well as they were when she was at Sureshot's holt, not able to find the old places and scents, and the future, intangible and pointless to consider past a day or two. What did she have right now? A brain full of intangibles and a lot of wasted efforts. Softling would keep trying, certainly, to break through the strange ease that the other Wolfriders moved together with. Perhaps a new holt would give her the connection.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by peachbug on Jul 10, 2009, 12:04am

Evenstar rolled from her bedding spot, the highest of course, to hang her head and shoulders off the side, hair falling in a goldish brown sheet. She wasn't tired, she was giddy, she was interested in everything...she felt like a cub fresh from the den. New holt, new elves, new this and that. The stars were rapidly disappearing, smeared by pastel light. She was not usually like her sister in this manner, but...

*Stay with me?* The tanner sent playfully to anyone within range.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kris on Jul 10, 2009, 12:14am

Wingfoot to Nightsun

Jul 8, 2009, 12:37am, Anna wrote:
“You’re wrong, dear one. He always means well,” she said, patting his chest gently. “I do not find him to be a pest. He is a sweet child, with a loving heart and a generous nature. I take great pleasure in his company.” She blinked slowly, and turned her face against him to stifle another yawn. “I am sorry, Wingfoot, but I fear I’m falling asleep on you. Even the sun cannot seem to wake me again.”

Wingfoot smiled, as much for the touch of her gentle hand as for Nightsun's endearment. "Then we should sleep," and he carefully reclined so that he would not disturb her as she rested against him, easing her head down on his shoulder. He caressed her hair, smoothing it away from her face and brow. "We've had a long journey," he murmured. "Rest well, my dear friend."

He longed to call her more than that, but hesitated; they had hardly touched, although he knew, in his heart, that Nightsun had much the same feelings for him as he did for her. But she was dear to him, and growing dearer with every sunrise and sunset. Wingfoot watched her sweet face grow smooth and peaceful as sleep stole over her, her eyelids fall over her honey-colored eyes, and told himself he could stay awake forever if it meant staying at Nightsun's side.

My lovely little friend, he thought, and smiled. When we find a place for our holt--if we find it--I hope you won't say no if I ask you to den with me. Let your brothers find their own companions. I want you as mine.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 10, 2009, 1:09am

Mist to Stormfire

*Are we not home now?* he asked, lifting his head to look down at her. *If this place makes you so happy, are you sure this isn’t it? You’ve been unerring in your direction so far, and it’s not all about following a river. Why this direction, and not the other? You never hesitated at a single turn, not even when we came to the grass plains.*

He frowned, in thought not anger, and tried to feel what Stormfire felt. He didn’t have a sense of home in this place. He knew that it would be a long time before he did. Stormfire, Sunsong, all the tribemates who’d followed his young chieftess had become his point of stability for now. They were what helped keep him balanced, where once it had been the holt itself.

He lifted his hand and caressed her cheek, wiping the tear tracks dry. *What’s calling you on, lovemate?*
Post by kris on Jul 10, 2009, 1:25am

Stormfire to Mist

Jul 10, 2009, 1:09am, Anna wrote:

*Are we not home now?* he asked, lifting his head to look down at her. *If this place makes you so happy, are you sure this isn’t it? You’ve been unerring in your direction so far, and it’s not all about following a river. Why this direction, and not the other? You never hesitated at a single turn, not even when we came to the grass plains.*

<snip>

He lifted his hand and caressed her cheek, wiping the tear tracks dry. *What’s calling you on, lovemate?*

*A feeling--a sense--* Stormfire frowned up at the canopy. *It's like tracking my way home through a blizzard, in a way,* she sent after a short silence. *I can't taste it. I can barely smell it. I certainly can't see it. But I know it's there. The closer we get, the stronger the feeling grows, Mist.* She gave a short laugh. *If we were wolves, this would be much easier to explain.*

Shrugging, Stormfire reached up to stroke back Mist's hair. *I'm glad you trust me . . . lovemate,* she added, savoring the endearment; after so many days, so many nights, it fit as comfortably as Evenstar's best leather. *I just wish I had a more solid answer for you. I have no magic in me, and no name for what's pulling me onward. It's just there.

*Come and sleep, now. We'll both feel better for a little rest.*
Post by Anna on Jul 10, 2009, 1:48am

Mist to Stormfire

*That answer is solid enough,* he assured her. *It’s not whim that’s leading you. It’s instinct, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find it’s in your blood, chief’s daughter.* He caressed her cheek again and smiled faintly. *Lead, and I’ll follow you. You haven’t led us wrong yet.*

He settled his head back on her breast, his ear pressed over her heart. He closed his eyes to the soothing rhythm of it’s beating and thought of home. Every imagining simply had trees, and Stormfire at the heart of it. Dawnlight dimmed as the sun rose higher, and greenshadow descended. He slipped into sleep as Stormfire’s breathing slowed and evened out.

Holt was wherever his chieftess chose to be.
Post by viola on Jul 10, 2009, 11:19am

Firecat -> Shellslip, Journey

Firecat was delighted when Journey showed up, and when Shellslip seemed to have read her mind, she laughed out loud. These surroundings were intoxicating, and such a relief compared to the grass they had for days on end. And when young Journey, always adventurous, showed up, she couldn't have been more delighted. **Fair game,** she answered happily, before waving at Journey.

"Late? No, dearest one, it's never too late for baths. Playing or not... but your words indicate you want to play...?" she winked. "You game?"Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 10, 2009, 11:14pm

Icemark to Longdusk, Redthorn (Lightgaze)

Icemark carried his drowsing cub to the platform Lightgaze had already settled on. With so few of them available, everyone would have to share. He knew that Redthorn and Lightgaze wouldn't mind sharing on, and that naturally meant that he and Silvercub would be sharing with them.

**Beloved, Silvercub and I are going to sleep now,** Icemark sent to Redthorn. He wasn't quite sure where his lifemate had gone off to; they'd become separated in the rush of eating the preparing to rest for the day. **I'll lay our furs in the nest where Lightgaze is sleeping.**

"Good morning, Longdusk," Icemark said quietly as he reached the nesting platform. He glanced at Lightgaze and smiled. She was sleeping easily and he was glad to see it. "Will you tree with us today? Or, if you have other plans, you know Redthorn and I will watch over her."

Windsoft to Journey

Windsoft looked over the edge of her cozy little nest and smiled when she say her son joining Shellslip and Firecat. Well, he wouldn't be coming to keep his mother company during the day, that was certain! She chuckled quietly, then laced her hands together and placed them on the edge of the wooden platform. Resting her chin on them, and with her curly hair spilling over the edge, she sent to her cub.

**I take it that you're going to be awake for a while yet, and furring with the lasses?** she asked lightly.

Oakstaff

He had hunted. He had eaten. He'd wandered a bit further away from the splashing and bathed. He wasn't quite sleepy yet, so Oakstaff took his quarterstaff and took it to a clear area of of the little grove that Longdusk and Windsoft had found. Few of his tribemates were there, so he had plenty of room to get some practice in.

Skill with any sort of tool wasn't inborn. It took practice to keep it honed. Whether the tool was for cooking or for hunting, or for fighting, an elf just had to practice. Oakstaff made a point of doing so every morning before he went to sleep, and every evening before they hit the trail.

Most Wolfriders preferred a bladed weapon of some kind: knife, ax, spear, sword. Not Oakstaff. He'd use a spear sometimes, when he was hunting big game, but he preferred his simple quarterstaff. It brought down smaller game just fine - and didn't leave holes in the skin. It was convenient for helping him walk long trails over rough terrain. It was good in a fight - and good in a dance.

Yes, Oakstaff mused as his staff whirled in a blur of gold in front of him and his spun and dipped, he really did have the most ideal weapon. He wouldn't trade his quarterstaff for the finest troll-made sword.

Post by kris on Jul 10, 2009, 11:31pm

Journey-->Firecat, Shellslip

Jul 10, 2009, 11:19am, viola wrote:
"Late? No, dearest one, it's never too late for baths. Playing or not... but your words indicate you want to play...?" she winked. "You game?"

Journey grinned back at Firecat. One couldn't spend time around Whirlwind and not know when a beautiful maiden was flirting. "I'm game if you are," he all but purred. "Just let me get the rest of this off and get in the water . .. "

Windsoft's send reached him, and he chuckled. **And here you always said not to count my catch before I had it,** he teased. **But if it's so . . . well, Mother, I hope you have as enjoyable a morning as I hope to myself!**Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by kris on Jul 11, 2009, 1:57am

Tallspear crawled into his furs and watched his tribemates ascend to the nests Sunsong had created for them. Whirlwind had declined to join him; she was waiting, she told him, for Oakstaff. Softling was below, and Tallspear watched her for a while. She was still a little wary of him--he decided a little more time would help more than hurt, and resolved to be patient on that score.

Journey was with Firecat and Shellslip. That nearly made Tallspear fall out of his nest with astonishment, and then chuckle with pride. About time Journey learned that those big violet eyes could do more than just look innocent. Maidens reacted to Journey in one of two ways: amusement at his scamp's ways, and anticipation of just how much fun they could have with him. Enjoy it, little brother, Tallspear thought with a sly smile. You should have been doing this moons ago!

Turning on his side, Tallspear twitched as he heard a conversation. He held himself still, the better to hear--and realized he was overhearing a sent conversation. More than that; the two sending were Stormfire and Mist.

He listened carefully, and found himself smiling even more widely. Oh, Whirlwind was in for a shock, wasn't she? Tallspear had no idea why Stormfire found the healer so fascinating, but he knew he was going to love watching Whirlwind bare her fangs at Mist over her beloved little sister.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by meimei on Jul 11, 2009, 2:51am

Ashglow had wandered after his failed attempt to advise Softling. In truth, he felt an empathy with the youth. Though he knew his skills and strengths, and weaknesses for that matter, it didn't make him feel any less like he was floundering for a place in this new tribe. The routine he was accustomed to had been replaced. Despite the hard night's journey, he felt restless and frustrated. A part of him still was not used to the switch from day to night. Starpath, who'd always loved the stars, seemed to find that part easier. But he wondered how he felt about not choosing their course as he always had. He worried for Nightsun, who was still learning to move with a hunter's quiet she'd never had need of before. And he wondered if he himself would ever feel truly comfortable surrounded by their new tribemates.

He leaned against one of the trees that circled the grove, and watched as the forest lightened around him as the sun rose.Re: The Day's Rest (2)
Post by Anna on Jul 11, 2009, 9:29pm

Sunsong

Sunsong was dreaming.

Her dreams drew her far away from the mobile lives of the Wolfriders, deep into the roots of the world. Roots...pallid and fragile, but oh, so strong! Grasping and squeezing nutrients from the soil through which they burrowed, sending it up, up, up throughout the sun-bathed plant. She rose with those nutrients, learning and knowing all there was to know about the plant.

Heartwood, dead and dark. Sapwood, living and pale. Up, she flowed with the sweet sap. Out to the thin, shivering leaves soaking in the light, transforming it.

Which is best? Which will do...? Her question whispered through her mind, through the trees and the answer was... none of these.

Sunsong mourned. How could she shape a safe holt for her tribe, if none of these trees would do? Each had something that was needed, but none had all. How could she build a weak holt? How could she betray her tribe so? They were counting on her, trusting her to do what none of them could. She would not fail them. She would not!

And so she dreamed, her body still but for small movements, but her mind busy sorting through all she knew, all she imagined, and all that she could dream of. Her constant smile faded from her sleeping face, and a frown faintly creased her brow.

Post by Anna on Jul 11, 2009, 9:34pm

Oakstaff to Whirlwind

Oakstaff could feel someone's eyes on him. It tried to intrude on his concentration, but he pretended not to feel the stare while he went through his patterned practice. The stare wasn't malicious; he sensed no danger. And if it was - well, he already had his weapon in hand.

Only when he was completely done with his practice did he turn to see who's attention was so focused on him. He grinned when he saw that his watcher was Whirlwind. He drew his forearm across his brow, wiping away sweat, and strolled towards the gnarled root that she was sitting on.

"I probably shouldn't have bathed before practicing," he said cheerfully. "Now I'll have to do it all over again." He leaned on his staff and arched an eyebrow at his friend. "Why aren't you sleeping yet?"

Back to top Go down

The Day's Rest
Page 1 of 1